KNOXVILLE — The search for the next chancellor of the University of Tennessee Institute of Agriculture began today with the first meeting of the search committee.
The committee, chaired by UT Knoxville Chancellor Jimmy G. Cheek, kicked off the search by setting the search timeline and determining the search process.
The chancellor serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the Institute of Agriculture, which consists of UT Extension, AgResearch, the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources and the College of Veterinary Medicine.
The new chancellor will replace Joe DiPietro, who was elected UT president in October and took office in January.
“The University is seeking a strong administrative leader capable of guiding a large statewide enterprise with many varied programs such as the Biofuels Initiative and veterinary medicine,” DiPietro said. “The chancellor job was one of the most fulfilling and enjoyable of my career.”
In addition to Cheek, the committee includes 23 members representing the institute, other campuses and outside relationships.
From AgResearch/College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources:
- Blake Brown, director, Milan Research and Education Center Director
- Eric Drumm, department head, Biosystems Engineering and Soil Science
- Naima Moustaid-Moussa, professor, Animal Science
- Margarita Velandia, assistant professor, Agricultural Economics
- Svetlana “Lana” Zivanovic, associate professor, Food Science & Technology
From UT Extension:
- Rita Jackson, Extension Area Specialist, Shelby County
- Martha Keel, professor, Family and Consumer Science
- Ben West, regional director, Jackson
- John Wilson, extension director, Blount County
From the College of Veterinary Medicine:
- Patti Coan, clinical associate professor, Office of Lab Animal Care
- Robert DeNovo, associate dean and professor
- Agricola Odoi, associate professor, Comparative Medicine
- Karen Tobias, professor, Small Animal Clinical Sciences
From UTIA Administration:
- Bill Brown, dean, AgResearch
- Lorna Norwood, director, Marketing and Communications
From the Board of Trustees:
- Charles Wharton
From the student body:
- Kevin Hensley, junior, Food and Ag Business
From the alumni:
- Stratton Bone
- Jerry Gresham, interim dean, College of Agriculture and Applied Sciences, UT Martin
- Beth Mullin, professor, Biochemistry, Molecular and Cellular Biology, UT Knoxville
- Julius Johnson, Commissioner of Agriculture
- Lacy Upchurch, President, TN Farm Bureau
- Steve Williams, Sigma Six project manager, DuPont
The firm Parker Executive Search won the request for proposals to assist in the search.
Until a new chancellor is found, Buddy Mitchell has been named interim chancellor. Mitchell, vice chancellor for development and government relations, is serving his third stint as interim.