KNOXVILLE – The University of Tennessee Board of Trustees Special Committee on University of Tennessee Athletics Programs will meet on Wednesday, June 19.
The meeting will be held in the Executive Dining Room of the Student Union, located at 1502 Cumberland Avenue in Knoxville. The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. EDT/5 p.m. CDT. Members of the committee unable to be present in Knoxville will participate by video or telephone.
Items on the agenda are the committee charge and an update on intercollegiate athletics at UT Knoxville from Phillip Fulmer, UT Knoxville director of athletics.
The agenda and materials are available by contacting the individuals below.
Anyone with a disability who wishes to attend this meeting may contact the individuals listed below to request auxiliary aids or services needed to facilitate attendance. Contact may be made in person, by writing, by email, by telephone or otherwise and should be received no later than 5 p.m. EDT/4 p.m. CDT on June 17.
The University of Tennessee System distributes this notice to all faculty and staff as part of its compliance with the adequate public notice requirement of state open meetings law.
SPECIAL COMMITTEE ON UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE
|6:00 p.m. EDT||Executive Dining Room|
|June 19, 2019||1502 Cumberland Avenue|
Call to Order
Committee Charge — Discussion …………………………………………………………………………………… Tab 1
Update on Intercollegiate Athletics at UTK from Phillip Fulmer, UTK Director of Athletics—Information
[Note: Under the Bylaws, no other business can be considered at this called meeting.]
THE UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE BOARD OF TRUSTEES SPECIAL COMMITTEE ON ATHLETICS PROGRAMS COMMITTEE CHARGE
In accordance with applicable NCAA principles and rules, the Board of Trustees has delegated direct responsibility for administration and control of the intercollegiate athletics programs to the Chancellor of each campus with an athletics program. Nevertheless, the Board of Trustees must oversee and monitor the athletics programs and, through the President, hold the Chancellors accountable for the appropriate execution of their responsibility for administration and control of those programs.
In the exercise of the Board’s oversight and monitoring responsibilities, this Special Committee on Athletics Programs shall carry out the following specific tasks to provide assurance to the Board of Trustees that the three athletics programs are operating effectively and in compliance with applicable University policies and NCAA and SEC rules:
- Recommending to the Board mission statements for the athletics departments that reflect the University’s mission and academic values;
- Recommending to the Board any Board policies necessary for the proper exercise of the Board’s oversight responsibility with respect to intercollegiate athletics programs;
- In consultation with the President and Chancellors, recommending to the Board standards of accountability and benchmarks against which to measure the success of the intercollegiate athletics programs;
- Determining the adequacy of the compliance function within each athletics department, including the process for reporting and investigating alleged violations of NCAA rules;
- Reviewing the policies and standards concerning admissions, academic progress, and academic integrity for student-athletes to determine whether they are generally consistent with policies and standards for the general student body; and
- Recommending the kind of academic, fiscal, compliance, and other reports the full Board should receive on a regular basis concerning the intercollegiate athletics programs.
- In carrying out this charge, members of the special committee must avoid involvement in the day-to-day operations of the athletics programs, including personnel matters and matters involving particular student-athletes.
Term of Appointment
The Special Committee on Athletics Programs is appointed for a term ending on June 30, 2020 or upon the earlier completion of the tasks outlined in this charge.
The provisions of Article V of the Bylaws of the Board of Trustees apply to meetings of the Special Committee on Athletics Programs. All meetings shall be open to the public except as authorized by a statutory or judicially recognized exception to the Tennessee Open Meetings Act, and adequate public notice of meetings must be given. Minutes of all meetings shall be prepared and provided to all members of the committee.
P-267 Andy Holt Tower, 1331 Circle Park, Knoxville, TN 37996
P-265 Andy Holt Tower, 1331 Circle Park, Knoxville, TN 37996